Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Dining Out: Nishino, Seattle WA (Madison Park)




Just because my last name is Japanese doesn't mean I'm an authority on Japanese cuisine.  I really enjoy Japnese food and I have my husband to thank for introducing me to a wonderful culture.  Japanese food is very very artful.  Sure, it tastes good, but presentation is what makes Japanese dining such an incredible overall culinary experience.  On this beautiful spring evening my family and I headed to Madison Park for dinner.

Nishino is located in a very small strip of shops and offices.  Parking is horrible, and if you drive too fast you could miss it.

Decor is simple and clean.  I love the windows which brought in some natural light.  Service is prompt and never was my water glass ever half full.

I was very impressed with my Toro Tartare with Caviar.  Toro is tuna belly fat.  It's rich in flavor and lighter in color than the more common maguro sushi.  It was presented in a bowl within an ice bowl.  Very fitting for a cavair dish.  The specks of 24k gold flakes was such a nice touch to this heavily priced starter.  The toro was delicious and fresh and the wasabi dressing really added an additional dimension to the overall flavor profile.  With that, the cavair was a little lost in the dish - but I didn't care.  I enjoyed the toro too much to worry about little ol' fish eggs.

Other dishes that we ate included vegetable tempura (husband said it was ok with a slightly heavy batter), popcorn shrimp tempura (my son loved it), snow crab and asparagus tempura roll (it was pretty tasty), cold tofu with sesame dressing (good, but hard to eat with chopsticks) and a variety of sushi rolls and nigiri.

Nishino is a great place to have great "yuppie" Japanese food.

Nishino on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment